First Team Shirt Sponsor - CW Accountancy Services
Wed 25
Sherborne Town
First Team
Miners come from behind to win

Miners come from behind to win

By Dave Wilkinson
Share via

Radstock win 4-2 at Sherborne

Manager Brett Partner was forced into shuffling the pack again for this rearranged visit to Sherborne Town in the Les Phillips cup following the unavailability of several of the weekends squad because of work commitments and the continuing injury situation.
The visitors were fastest out of the blocks and controlled the early exchanges but were up against a well drilled home defence who limited the them to long range efforts but it wasn't all one way as the home side were quick to break and created good opportunities both inside and outside the box to shoot but were, in the main, off target with their efforts.
The visitors efforts did pay off though in the fifteenth minute when James Rustell latched onto a Morgan Marsh pass, and shrugged off two defenders before planting the ball firmly into the bottom corner of the net.
Sherborne equalised on twenty five minutes when following a succession of corners a visiting defender sliced the ball into his own net! Worse was to follow for the visitors though ten minutes later when a misplaced pass was intercepted just outside the penalty area by Ashley Clarke who after creating space for himself fired a shot past Scrivens despairing dive.
Radstock could have been back on level terms within a few minutes though but firstly a Rustell effort was deflected onto the post and then Rico Sobers just failed to get onto the end of a tantalising Luke Ingram cross.
Despite the half time deficit the visiting supporters were confident that the side were still very much in the contest and if the side could maintain their tempo then a place in the second round was there to be won.
With Ryan Child and Morgan Marsh controlling the midfield from the off and with the strengthening wind at their backs Radstock soon started to dominate proceedings but efforts from Biddescombe, Rustell and Skipp were all comfortably dealt with by the home custodian, Josh Attwood. But an equaliser was looking increasingly likely and it came in the sixty fifth minute when Morgan Skipp found himself one on one with the keeper who did well to push him wide but he kept his nerve and side stepped a desperate defensive lunge before side footing the ball into the far corner of the net.
Seven minutes later the visitors took the lead for the second time in the game when Rustell raced onto a through ball from Skipp to slip the ball under the advancing Attwood.
Five minutes later the game was effectively over as a contest as Morgan Skipp got his second of the evening when it was his turn to get on the end of defence splitting Child pass to guide the ball firmly into the net.
To their credit Sherborne never gave up but despite forcing Srivens into having to make a smart save from Matt Brown the chances they did create were well wide of the mark, in fact it was Radstock who could have increased their advantage but despite doing everything right Rico Sobers saw his clever lob over the advancing keeper drift just wide of the post.
A good evening's work for the 'miners' and as well as place in the second round of the Les Phillips cup it firmly put the horrors of last Friday's visit to Bishop Sutton.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Wed 25, Sep 2019






Division one

League position

Radstock Town
Sherborne Town